Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sorry for taking so long to post, but I've been busy...

It's been a busy couple of weeks for me, but I am going to recap some NFL games from Week 2, and look ahead to Week 3. I'll even throw in some predictions because I'm that nice.

Texans 34, Titans 31.
One of the most entertaining games of the day. Matt Schaub had a 4 TD day, and Chris Johnson tore it up as well.
What we learned:
When given time, Matt Schaub is really good Schaub's offensive line provided him with lots of time, and he delivered time and time again. It helps to have Andre Johnson on the field. I've always felt that Matt Schaub is a top 10 quarterback in the league when healthy, and he showed his potential Sunday.
The Titans defense is not as good as last year Whether it is losing Albert Haynesworth, coming back down to earth, or a combination of the two, the Titans haven't shown they are a dominant force on defense early in 2009. Cortland Finnegan was exposed downfield because the pass rush was not as good as last year. They cannot expect their offense to put up more than 31 points, and they need to make some adjustments quickly, or they'll find themselves on the outside of the playoff picture looking in.
Steve Slaton is a concern Slaton hasn't gotten things going in his first two games, and this could be a bad sign for the Texans. They cannot solely rely on Schaub's arm. Gary Kubiak needs to find a way to get Slaton the ball in the open field in Week 3, because that's where he excels.

Bears 17, Steelers 14
The Chicago Bears, after choking away a win at Green Bay in Week 1, pulled off the upset over the Steelers. Robbie Gould connected on a field goal with under a minute left to give the Bears the win, after Jeff Reed missed 2 field goals earlier. 
What we learned:
Jay Cutler is a much better QB than he showed in Week 1
After throwing 4 interceptions in Week 1, Cutler showed why the Bears traded for him. He showed off his arm strength on his first TD pass to TE Kellen Davis, and made good decisions all day. Cutler should continue to progress all year long.
The Bears defense can survive without Brian Urlacher
It certainly isn't ideal to lose your defensive leader for the year in Week 1. But the Bears are deep at linebacker, and Nick Roach and Hunter Hillenmeyer should fill in nicely. The Bears defensive questions are in the secondary, and the Lance Briggs should lead the linebacking unit to another solid year.
What to watch for in Week 3
Tennessee at New York Jets
Will Tennessee get back on track? Is Mark Sanchez for real? These questions both may be answered in Week 3. It's almost a must-win for the Titans, and I think they'll put a lot of pressure on the rookie. I like the Titans 24-13.
Atlanta at New England
Can the Patriots rebound from a lackluster first two weeks? I think that they will, and it's too early to write them off. I like them at home, 31-17.
San Francisco at Minnesota
This is the game of the week. The 49ers have surprised the league and are 2-0. Behind Mike Singletary, the Niners have shown a potent rushing attack and a stingy defense. The Vikings have cruised the first two weeks, and are primed for a playoff run with Adrian Peterson at the helm of a formidable offense. The rushing defense will be key for both sides, and I like 49ers pulling off the road upset, 20-17.


No comments:

Post a Comment